The Untidys


The weekend.
Most people live for the weekend.
Most people look forward to the relaxation and rest from the "workweek".
The 24 or so hours that begin our weekend are...well, let's just say...a change is as good as a rest. It is fun, it is active, it is memorable...but oh, the aftermath!

Friday night is "treatnight" for our kids. Originally meant to be the one night of the week that they get to have sugary, dye filled and chemically laced specialties. Ya right. Life happens when you are busy making plans. BUT, they still insist on cuddling with Coke, movie and several friends until the wee hours of the night, after a fun filled evening at AWANA and Youth Group. For me...that would be about 11:00 pm. I know...I'm a party animal. Dad bunks with the boys downstairs and my princess and I have our own little sleepover in my room, while we watch about 5 minutes of George Strombolopolousseeeee...whatever...if he is interviewing someone interesting. The guest last night was Kermit the Frog, so we pried our eyes open for a few extra minutes.

Cozy and fun...until I wake up and look at the "morning after" mess. I thought, why not share some images with you of what I usually wake up to. Just to keep it real, you know. Saturday morning carnage.

So, this is the bachelor pad.
No Beer cans.
Scented Yankee candle on the end table for "I can't imagine why":



This is where the intense card game (Go Fish) takes place.
Gambling for suckers.
Wild and crazy bunch:




There IS a sink under there somewhere...



Laundry isn't too bad this week...only 3 loads behind!

Fortunately I am a morning person. SO, if I just keep my eyes closed in the evening and only ponder the mess in the AM...it's no problem! I just put my SuperMom cape on, wiggle my nose, set Grooveshark on something with a springy beat and dive on in. I actually really like Saturdays. I love cleaning up to the music and not having to think about appositives and algebra for a day. Everyone in my family knows the joy I feel when looking upon a neat and organized house. That is what Saturdays are for. I am pleased to add the disclaimer that these pictures are NOT representative of our Monday to Friday etiquette. I could not function in this kind of mess from day to day...it's just a "let your hair down" kind of episode.

Then, at the end of my Holly Maid day, I peek into my oldest boy's room...and almost started to cry...


Without prompting...without coercion, waterboarding nor withholding food, my 16 year old CLEANED HIS ROOM! EVEN VACUUMED IT!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure why there is a Kid's foam chair in the windowsill...I'm not going to complain though.

I mean, cleaned and organized! Even the coins on his dresser were in order! It might look like WW3 tomorrow, but I don't care, I now know it can be done and I will grab a hold of that light at the end of the tunnel.

These are very special moments in a mom's life.
Milestones.
SIXTEEN years in the making.
My baby boy is growing up.
Tears...happy tears.

I think I may have an ally in my cleanliness corner...it's been lonely :)

Comments