Lost in January


It's cold. It's grey. It's January.
Some snow would be nice. It would actually brighten things up around here a bit, and give us something to do outside. My days during the first weeks of 2012 have been saturated with uplifting music, extra pleasing meals, additional Bible readings and soy protein. Those are just a few of my coping mechanisms. Along with the January greys, come my emotional spikes and dips. Not a good combination. If I didn't know better, I'd be in therapy, on medication and maybe even intoxicated. I'd think that I was not "happy", that life was meaningless and that grass over there is a much nicer shade of green than mine is. But, I do know better. I know the truth and the truth has set me free! It hasn't taken away the greys or the emotional roller coaster, but I am a free mind, managing an enslaved body. As the apostle Paul said in Romans 7:

"So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Two laws at work in me. One must overcome the other. That is exactly why we should NEVER encourage people to "follow your heart" or "do what feels right". Our feelings and desires (heart) are not always in line with what we know to be the truth and pleasing to God. It is so good to be free from the slavery of my emotions. I have to remind myself of this fact often, but the more I do it, the easier it gets...and pampering myself through the trial can be enjoyable too :)

So, I KNOW that I am just fine...the grey will change to a peaceful blue...life is good...and I am NOT CRAZY!!!!!!

I get extremely antsy and distracted at this time too. Changing gears on a dime, leaving things unfinished and finding myself walking around the house aimlessly...looking for what to do next. Standing in the middle of my living room looking like a lost child in Grand Central Station. Until one of my sweet children or my husband takes me by the hand, guides me to the coffee pot and sits with me a spell with a funny grin on his face and an arm around my neck. If I'm really sad looking they put on some Il Divo and dance with me around the room. That is guaranteed to put a hopeful smile on my spoiled face.

It's cold. It's grey. It's January...on the outside.

But on the inside, it's a warm August vacation day :)

My next post will likely be very upbeat and exciting...

...it changes on the hour.


Comments