Happy Days...All in the Family

 
My kids have been watching boxed sets of old TV shows that we used to watch as kids...since our only choices on TV now are garbage, garbage or more garbage. They have been through The Beverley Hillbillies, The Three Stooges and even some Petticoat Junction. I don't really care for those ones, but the laughter I heard from them while being entertained by Granny and Moe was worth every penny of the $5-10 I paid for many episodes!  I recently got Different Strokes for them and a flood of memories followed. Just hearing the theme song took me back to casual carefree days in the Hanson household. 

After being greeted at the door by my sweet warm mom, we cozied up to the wood stove with a fresh cornmeal roll or cookie and we 4 ladies talked of the days happenings. Sometimes laughing, sometimes frustrated, but always comforted and guided my mom's discerning heart. Her listening ears were always available and sincere. After my dad arrived home from that stinky old pulp mill with dangerous hugs and whiskery kisses, we ate supper together to the tune of  Lavern and Shirley or Happy Days on the kitchen TV. Don't listen to people when they say that laughing while eating isn't good for you. It was regular at our house and no one died in the 17 years I lived there. If I had to be excused in the middle of the meal, I'd typically return to my seat with my plate mysteriously missing. My dad's poker face trying hard not to give away his secret...it was on top of the fridge...it was always on top of the fridge...never a new hiding place...never a bad joke :)

Dad usually spent his evenings in the garage under a Ford, Mom knitting, reading or giggling with us while we did homework, then made popcorn or pizza and watched more TV...mostly innocent, good, clean shows, without much agenda pushing behind it. We didn't rush and run to sporting events or musical practices, we were just home, laughing and loving, soaking up the comfort and safety of a really good family. Of course my sisters and I NEVER fought. We just always thought of the other one before ourselves, always said kind things to one another and cleaned each others rooms. Ok, it's true, the good memories always seem to outweigh or erase the bad.  That's alright, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you all the terrible injustices that were done to me by those two blonde instigators ;)

I admit, I mooched my older sister's cool clothing while hoarding my own money and bullied my younger one out of the bathroom a FEW times to make one last check in the mirror to ensure each curl on my head was staying in it's place. They had their fun with me. I could get so engrossed into a TV show that they would play with me by casually asking me to get things for them during the show and I would hypnotically comply until after 3 or 4 times. Eventually I'd wake up and endure their victory dance. They really never danced, that would be Mom and Dad, occasionally moving the kitchen table out of the way and cutting a rug...or a pine floor as we had. I can't tell you how much that kind of parental relationship builds a child's character. You can be sure their is a regular dose of dancing in my house. My husband complies with a smile and my kids wait their turn with me on the dance floor. I have a great set of speakers in the kitchen :)

The sounds of these old shows bring back wonderful memories and now my kids are singing their tunes around our house. They are only TV shows, not perfect, but better than anything I've seen lately. It's their attachment to the past that gives them their value. Good, clean laughter is good for the soul. I guess Allan Thicke is a becoming a regular guest in our house :) Remember these?? I think I might check some out and see if they can't find their way under our Christmas tree this year.

The Cosby Show
Who's The Boss
Night Court
Newhart
Growing Pains
Too Close For Comfort
Benson
The Jeffersons
All in the Family
Taxi
WKRP in Cincinnati
Mork and Mindy
Chico and the Man

Comments