Is the University Gountlet necessary?

 

 I highly value my university years. The first two were the ultimate best. Grounding me in my faith, making life long friends and seeping with romance as I met the love of my life. The last 4 were plugging through, jumping the hoops in order to get that blessed piece of paper that I "needed" in order to be "successful" or to get a job. I wasn't very engaged in my studies, but I was a good studier and learned to work hard at something you really don't like. I developed a fascination for Biology and began to think much deeper about education and life in general. Along with the blessing of not coming out in debt, it was good experience for me and not at all regretted.

That was then. This is now. Things are not the same. Tuition, post degree job opportunity and the moral temperature of universities are VERY different now. Sending my kids to university is not the same as me going there in the late 80's/early 90's. I'm thinking that the decision to commit to a 3-10 year training session in university should not be taken lightly. It should not be the normal, run-of-the-mill thing to do. Much consideration needs to be done before beginning the gauntlet run. There are other ways find a profession and to prepare for it...that's another blog post altogether. For this one however, I just want to clap my hands loudly, just once, wave them in front of some faces and gently encourage parents and high schoolers to REALLY think before making that university commitment. Go to University with your eyes wide open...not to mention your wallet...and impressionable mind. Be ready for the financial burden, the politics and persecution if you don't wear their worldview glasses. 

This is not a boycott University call, we need good students in there to be salt and light, to reform the intellectual and moral status quo, but not everyone is called to do that. Not everyone should go to university, as is the compulsion. The idea that the system, all too often, wastes thousands of our young students' debt dollars and a decade or so of their prime time, making them jump through the hoops is an important one to make people aware of. I tend to like Anthony Fury of Sun News Network, a Libertarian and a good communicator. I don't always agree with his point of view, but this one was right on:


Comments