Gender Reassignment in the Church...the Gateway Drug


In case you haven't noticed, I am female...and that matters. It is a sacred assignment, planned, created and sustained by One far more wise than any given breath. This fact holds much more significance than just the color of my baby blankets, the shape my clothing takes or the washroom I am directed into. According to the Bible, it dictates much, much more. Yes, dictates. My desires and dreams do not direct how my body and mind function. A car is made to be driven on a road, no matter much it might want to fly in the sky, it's parts and manual clearly speak the intention of it's creator. I'm sure, with the tenacity and ability of man, it may end up soaring through the air, but it could no longer be called a car. It has thrown off the beautiful dream of it's maker and given itself a new name, purpose and activity. It has become it's own god. 

The gender issue that we the church are now dealing with will make or break the first commandment. If we the church decide that gender matters are for individuals to decide, then we have dethroned God, the creator of our being and the author of the manual. These issues don't emerge overnight. They slowly creep in, in less obvious and alarming ways, like a gateway drug. I am afraid the church has been smoking pot.

  It seems to me that many pastors and other church leaders who are standing firm Biblically on the issue of homesexuality or gender have not noticed the inconspicuous door that was left ajar to let it in. If a person's gender does dictate how he or she should function in marriage and family, why doesn't it dictate how they should function in church roles as well? If I am wired and built to nurture children and so directed to do that, why is not my wiring and build directed to a certain, different role than men in the church? We proclaim calling equality for the genders in the church, while ignoring our divine make. It seems inconsistent to me, certainly less obvious, but virtually the same issue. Gender directs our behavior and calling...and neither calling, male nor female, is less vital than the other.

Once we opened the door to women taking on male leadership roles in the church, the gender issue on sexuality and marriage had a trail blazed for it. The hard work was done and it's sliding through fast and furious. We seem shocked and appalled. How could this happen? Isn't it obvious? Well apparently, my unique and important design wasn't sacred enough to hold it's place on the issue of role, so why should it matter now? We shouldn't be shocked. In fact I know many a complimentarian who have been waiting for this day for quite a while now. Some people seem to be given a great gift of discernment and those of us who haven't would do well to heed the warnings of the former.  

The inclination to be offended by our lack of maleness is perplexing. Everyone knows I love males...I have a few...but I embrace my Biblically communicated gifts, abilities and calling. On a less obvious, but just as blasphemous note, gender reassignment in church roles is highly offensive and saddening to me...and the angels (1 Corinthians 11). Every time I see a woman leading and teaching men in the church I want to cry for the Creator. His beautiful plan is rearranged...the church becomes a eunuch...powerless and sterile. We wonder why the Spirit is not moving powerfully and why we are not multiplying. I believe it is because we have castrated oursleves. Yes, pray for revival, but maybe we should follow the directive of 2 Chronicles 7:14 so our prayers won't be hindered:

 "...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

Dear Eve...total submission to the Word of God on our life role is freedom. Don't let the Deceiver sway you from His Word...like he did Eve..."Did God REALLY say?" Genesis 3:1
Dear Adam...please embrace your manhood and protect us from the Deceiver. No longer stand  by and watch us eat that tempting fruit and accept it yourself.


In all areas of life and church...gender matters.

Comments