God in the Paderno

Ever wake up in the middle of the night, deeply troubled by all the needs of people you love, burdened by the wait for the Spirit of God to move in some of their lives? 

I do.

I did the night before last. Lost much sleep, but gained hours of prayer. I begged God to reveal himself to me somehow, not in a charismatic way, but in a real, "here I am" way. Just to know He is really there, hearing my prayers and  working to answer all of them. We humans get that way sometimes...we crave communication. I read my Bible looking desperately for Him to jump out at me...and He often does. But I wasn't sure I "heard Him" that tiring morning.
 Later that morning, during our homeschool readings, I came upon this quote...by Teresa of Avila...whoever she is:

"Know that even when you are in the kitchen,
God moves among the pots and pans."
 Well that is kind of weird, but I liked it. I laughed and pondered it's meaning. I get that God is everywhere, even in the kitchen, but what does she mean by "in the pots and pans"? I guess she's just being artistic, I get that too. I thought about it all that day, off and on.

After Prayer Meeting that night, some very special friends (who shall remain nameless...because they are the humble kind) dropped by for a quick visit. They had noticed with their selfless eye, one time we were dining together, that most of my pots and pans no longer had handles on them. After 25 years, they had worn out and left me with steam burned hands for memories of the lovely wedding gift. Pots and pans have not made it to the top of our priority list to replace yet. So, our friends, family really, brought this gift:


Yep. Brand spankin' new Paderno pots and pans. Six pieces of beautiful silver, domestic gems. This is the kind of bling I like to wear. We hugged, I teared up, they laughed, the kids eyes wide with the vision of Jesus' love in the flesh. It's not the pans really, we all know that (although I can't put them in the cupboard yet, they are too beautiful), it's the care and sacrifice of my friends and the ridiculously quiet revelation of Almighty God to this little homemaker, wanting to be near to Him. 

I had read 1 Samuel during the long night before because of Samuel's similar waking and questioning. He said "Speak Lord for your servant is listening." It took three episodes of little Samuel looking for God in the night, then He heard Him. He didn't roll back over and ignore the voice. He responded until He finally got it. It was quiet and ordinary communication...just like mine yesterday. I almost missed it though, because I stopped listening. It wasn't until this morning, while I was waking up, that I was reminded of the Avila quote that puzzled me. He was showing himself to me through His church, my friends, His hands and feet, through pots and pans...and they didn't even know the fullness of their actions toward me. It took all day, but He answered, in a beautiful, generous way. 

I wasn't looking for stuff, I was looking for Him and He gives all good things to those who ask. 
More than we even expect.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us" Ephesians 3:20

Look and listen, wait for His obvious moving. Don't try to MAKE something up, wait for Him to SHOW up.

He always does, in His time.


Comments