Gallery Glory




Sometimes I see a piece of art and wonder what on earth people like about it. 
I may not like the colors, it's likely too "busy", maybe I just don't get any feeling from it or the same feeling I get from a zillion others like it. Yet, it is on display, people love it and it has a hefty price tag. It reminds me of the diversity in opinions of beauty and value.

It's great that someone loves that painting and is willing to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars in order to see it daily and to share it's"beauty" with others. The name of the artist is made known and his or her works are collected. The artist is sought after for shows and seminars. Fame and renown for the artist. What of the painting though?

The colorful canvas hangs somewhere, untouched. Prized, cared for and gawked at constantly. With lights focused on it, glory beams from it to the pleasure and benefit of spectators. It receives nothing but the honor of bringing glory to its creator. 

As an artist, I understand the personification of pieces of art...how they are like your little children...A piece of you sent into the world. You want them to find a home where they are loved... because you can't keep hem all forever! But I wouldn't die for any of them...they aren't worth THAT much. Continuing the personification, if I could be the art, just hanging there, my beauty and message bringing glory to my maker and benefitting others, would that be enough? 

Acknowledging the fact that I had nothing to do with my glory, but am a chosen canvas on which to display His...Is that enough? Accepting that not all find me beautiful or valuable, by that someone somewhere does or will? Content in the fact that my Creator sees me as priceless? We can understand the difference between an artist and artwork...The right relationship they have and their differing values.

Imagine, if we decided to place more value on the artwork that the artist. Gave the artist a different name, lied about who they were or even denied their existence. Telling spectators that they can choose whomever they like to be the artist...whatever works for them...or that it came about by chance as the canvas sat there for days and days alone.

A piece of art is beautiful, if not to you, to someone.

The work is nothing without its Creator and its purpose is to bring him glory.

Bringing Him glory is the most honoring purpose and greatest pleasure possible.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

Psalms 139:14


"because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen."

Romans 1:25

Comments