30 Something


O




Once upon a hockey season, I was stopped in my tracks leaving an arena after a kid's game. There was a grey haired,  50 something woman, with the most beautiful laugh lines around her eyes to highlight her joyful and content demeanor. I was stunned. And decisive. I will be like that. I will relinquish my physical limitations to time willingly. I will embrace the greys, the lines and the weaknesses in exchange for the power of spiritual beauty. That doesn't mean you won't ever see me at the Revlon counter, gym or buying Blundtstones, but it will not define me, nor control my spirit. We need limits. We need reminders when we go too far. We need to love the time we are in and make our own version of beauty. 

Growing older gracefully seems to be the name of the game I play now. There shouldn't be any fear in aging, but there always is. Fear of discomfort, inability,  loss of value or beauty...these haunt our later years. Not to mention the inevitable questions of what might come next...when our time is up. Knowing God has relieved the later fear for me, but the first ones can creep into my mind...every day. Feeling the aches, pains, loss in scenses, clarity of thought, can spark despair. Realizing your outdated values and wardrobe, and seeing the generational separation, wakes you up to time. 

These fears and awakenings don't have to be held to though. We must grow old, but the gracefully part won't necessarily apply itself automatically. Seeing the obvious, graceless, botched plastic surgeries on our, once prime, contemporaries make that painfully clear. The finish lines of grown out hair dyes remind us of ours. Working tirelessly and expensively to fight the laughing clock. 

Just leave it. Let the grey come in...my kids call it glitter. Wear the readers...I call them a fashion accessory. 

To all my beautiful friends, who are turning 50 with me this year...cheers to this monumental gift! 

Live well...fearless and sure. Be the kind of beautiful our Heavenly father intended us to display. 
Find your joy and eternity in Him ❤

5x5 block canvas..."50 Something"

Comments