How 'bout Rome...for Lunch??


Ok, so I'm having one of those 'can't shut my brain off" kind of weeks. I would like someone to invent a robot pill that allows me to just do the laundry, make dinner, help the kids and wait in the doctor's office contently without thinking about the meaning of life or world peace. We dreamers sometimes have a hard time with the regular, the familiar and the boring. Even though I may be wearing Levis and a ponytail, In my mind I'm dressed for safari or planning my second honeymoon. It can be a bit difficult, on those days to do the responsible things and not hop on a plane to Rome to check out the ruins. Seriously, you have no idea of the daydreams one crazy housewife can muster up.

It used to be a bit of an emotional problem in my younger years, but I'm getting the hang of how to handle it now. I have a great coach who helps me find the balance between reality and fantasy. It's really quite entertaining for him to hear my ponderings, fortunately, he doesn't call me a nutbar or a try to make me like him, he just helps me sort those things that can really happen from those that might have to wait...for hell to freeze over...then we will consider the adventure. Sometimes his advice involves the words "Just roll over and go to sleep. You'll feel better in the morning." I used to be offended by that, but not anymore. Now, I remember that not every thought needs to be entertained and analyzed, sometimes I need to "take every thought captive" as the Bible says and exercise self control, for my own peace of mind.

Smothering the dreaminess is not good either. Use your powers for good, not evil. It really helps make homeschooling exciting and creative. It transforms into entertainment and brief adrenalin rushes of laughter for the whole family to enjoy. It just colors the world a bit when things are looking a little gray. It helps to remember that King David, Peter the disciple of Jesus and even Martin Luther were passionate dreamers. Left to full expression, it would be tragic...sort of Lady Gaga tragic...but kept in check and properly dispersed, it can be a wonderful, creative, God honoring masterpiece.

God knows what I need even before I need it. When I feel the need for "fun", creative expression or some kind of change, I tell Him, then watch for His leading. He doesn't make us this way then tell us to "put a cork in it", but He doesn't intend for it to be used for our own satisfaction or intentions either. I think that is why so many famous artists, entertainers or writers end up depressed and suicidal. The passions of the mind are not managed well and given to the Creator for healthy expression. In the words of Rich Mullins, "We are not as strong as we think we are". My own imagination and dreams cannot become my god, but can be used by God and will bring Him glory and me, satisfaction.

Gotta go make breakfast and weed the garden...pretending to be Julia Childs and planning the second honeymoon all the while :)

Comments