She...Wore...An...Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny...



We decided to take one week of our vacation this summer to stay home and do some SERIOUS CLEANING. Doesn't that sound exciting?! Well, it really is for me. I love to get rid of stuff and organize my surroundings, it just feel so good. BUT, we had to break up the work week with a little fun, so we headed for Magic Mountain Water Park for one entire day of fun, sun and loop-de-looping in the refreshing water. It really was a wonderful day, especially now that my kids are all old enough to stand, swim and think (somewhat) on their own. I hated going to those places when they were little. I watched empatheticaly as one mom was being dragged around by her two barely walking sweeties, both clad in life jackets, sunhats and soothers. Now that's love...or maybe insanity, depending on your perspective. My daughter spent most of her time in the "warm tub" too big to be a hot tub, and the rest of the boys were paired up and blissfully climbing the hills and sliding down the beloved plastic joy makers...for 7 hours straight....with Dad leading the way.

I tried a couple of slides, just to appease my curiosity, but spent most of the time watching my daughter, soaking up the sun, sipping Dr Pepper and people watching. I love people watching. When I get old and physically useless, just plunk me in a park somewhere with lots of activity and I'll pass the time analyzing and enjoying anthropolgy at it's best. My blog is meant to share some of the more...personal thoughts that I have and may not always sit right with some readers. Feel free to block my link if you disagree. It was, lets say, extremely obvious that people today have NO trouble exposing themselves in public. My eyes and those of my family are not used to, nor meant to be continually feasting on the mostly unkept bare flesh of strangers. I'm not sure if there is a fabric shortage in the world today, or if people just like "hangin' loose" but...holy bikini Batman...or maybe I should say HOLEY bikini Batman. It didn't matter what shape or size they were, they were so barely covered that I wondered how on Earth they swimsuits stayed on going down the water slides. I would feel so uncomfortable constantly adjusting, checking and fixing myself all day long, not at all free to jump, run and play securely. I guess they just don't care how others think or see them.

I'm all for being free from the opinions and judgments of others, but what about the welfare of those around you. Aren't we supposed to be thinking of others before ourselves? I never grew up with a brother, so I had to learn about the mindset of boys as an adult. I now have three sons, two of whom are very healthy, normal, adolescents with "boy brains" not "girl brains" if you know what I'm talkin' about. After 15 minutes of being at Bikini Central, they were both wide eyed and a bit visually overwhelmed. They have been taught to respect girls and to "make a covenant with their eyes" as Job said to protect themselves...this place would surely challenge that ideal. Wearing little scraps of fabric over your unmentionables can cause people to either lust (ya, lusting is wrong...FYI) or throw up (which isn't wrong, just extremely unpleasant). After a little pep talk from Dad and instruction on how to handle the situation, they were off and running with a proper focus...on the slides, that is.

I know it sounds a bit old fashioned, but it isn't. It's human nature and it hasn't changed from the beginning of time. God's mandate for purity is still in effect in 2010, no matter what the status quo says. I wasn't angry at the world for the lack of modesty, just sad. Sad that all of these precious girls had no idea that their bodies were being exploited and no one was telling them that they've been duped. Feminism has told them that freedom of expression will be good for them and society in general. I think enough time has passed since the birth of that notion to prove people are neither psychologically healthier nor is society more stable due to the bra burning philosophy. Now don't get all extreme on me and say "So you want us all to wear potato sacks to beach then??" No, I saw some gorgeous bathing suits there too that kept all the treasures in the storehouse. You just have to make an extra effort to find one. Also, sad that my boys can't go to a place like this for fun and relaxation without having to have a spiritual workout the whole time. But that's life, and we have to learn how to be in the world, but not "of it". It was a very good experience and I'm glad we went.

It's funny how a person can be little "nervous" to write a post like this. Nervous to say "Modesty is important, cleavage is not. Guard your heart and eyes for you own health and God's glory"...but someone has to do it. I love my fellow man and have no judgmental attitude in my heart, just concern for people and passion for the wisdom of God.

I'm just one beggar showing another beggar where to find bread...and maybe that perfect little bathing suit :)

Comments