The "Smell" of Christmas



There are some things about Christmas that have to be a certain way, and others that are negotiable. Jesus has to be the center, there must be cranberry pudding, daily festive music must be played and the tree must be real. My third son made mention to me the other day that there are certain "smells" that he loves and one of them is the smell of Christmas. He was referring to the tree. Not only the fresh, outdoorsy scent that real trees offer, but their unique shape gives authenticity and an earthy simplicity to the theme of the season. I am not an artificial tree snob, I can appreciate those too, I'm just stuck on the real thing. Another one of those things that claim "we always did it that way". A nurtured code imbedded in my psyche.

Part of the draw is the fetching of the tree as well. Every year we and some close friends venture out into the forest (my favorite place to be) and spy out our yearly centerpiece. The gals use their decorative expertise to make the choice, and the guys are drawn to the power tool that cuts it. Since we are only rationed one tree per family, there is need of other things to cut. They are quite pleased when we choose a tree buried deep in a thicket because that means that there will be brush to get through...something else to cut. Why PUSH the brush to the side when you have a power tool at your disposal?

After the trees have been carried home, the hot drinks are poured and everyone warmed. It's a great thing. I could stop there with the "fun" descriptions because next comes the decorating. I am not a tree decorator. If I could hire someone to do this job, I would. Fortunately, kids love it and therefore do it after the painful task of untangling and bulb changing of the lights is done. We have kids, so it's acceptable to have tree that looks like kids decorated it. I love a tree that is filled entire with white lights, but the kids like the colored ones...so colored it is. I love our kid trees, but I really appreciate being in the presence of the artful trees of women who have "grown up" kids. My mom is finally enjoying a "grown up" tree after years of tolerating our masterpieces. I LOVE her trees. They are skinny, glittery, classy and perfect. Someday I will have one of those grown-up trees, but for now, I'll let the kids enjoy their personalized tree and share their awe as they stare at it's beauty.

I love the unique shapes rather than the "perfect" cone trees:



Even if it looks like silly string was used to decorate it:



Skinny trees are "in" too...especially for those of us who don't have a lot of space to work with:



This Chubby Santa tree looks great...or maybe it's the room I love??



I just can't get into colored trees. This one looks like Miss Piggy got a hold of it:



This is awful. It does NOT look like a snow covered tree to me:



I even like the peaceful and simple twig trees. A modern/urban twist??



Lovely, elegant and close to perfection:


How could I not love a tradition that brings the outdoors IN?? Those fresh, beautiful, uniquely designed pieces of nature are always welcome in my living room...grown-up trees and kid-trees alike.

Comments