Professional Indulgence



Time flies when you are having fun. 
Emm and I left our children and homes yesterday...just for a day. Not even an entire day, but most of it.
Fifty-five other moms did the same. Some, in vans together, driving an hour or two to get to the special place. 

That's actually a big deal for a home-educating mom. Together, that meant that child care was arranged for 178 or so kids (can't remember the exact number), many dads took the day off and some hearts of mom/toddlers were separated in a willing, but uncomfortable way. It's one of the drawbacks of home-educating. We aren't great at being away from home for very long. It's not a weakness, it's a beautiful fact. However, there is a time for everything under the sun, and for this 57, it was a time for refreshment and mind stimulation. 

Five or 6 of these women worked extremely hard at making the day an experience worth the effort. I think that's because they know exactly what is needed sometimes. They were doing what they would desire others to do for them...golden. How clearly does homemade soups and cheesecakes, gourmet salad and coffee, fresh fruit, goat-cheese, hemp hearts and dried cherries say "I love, understand and appreciate you"?? I got it...loud and clear. Our experienced and passionate session leaders brought their hearts and minds to us on a silver platter. Our opportunity to pour out our souls to each other brought tears of relief and echos of laughter among the sea of leather boots, colorful scarves, jean jackets,  fresh hair-do's and even some makeup. We just cannot deny our femininity and love of beauty...and rare occasion to publicly don them. We unashamedly celebrate our divine design and wiring.

A little deeper though, under the skin of beauty and a little higher than the hearts of emotion, our minds were fed...mine for sure. I crave challenging and growing my mind in the things that I am passionate about. I could talk and listen all day about home education, learning issues and family...and that's what I got to do! All day...with like-minds...similar vision...similar challenges...common loves. Sharing discoveries, note-taking book titles and websites, planning networks and getting questions answered. It sparked a fire in me that was smoldering and up I got, early this morning, chasing the ideas online. Mind food...satisfying education...developed in my profession for sure. I'm pretty sure we were there for 6 hours, but I could swear it felt more like 1 or 2. How blessed I am to love my calling so much and to have so many others to journey with in it.

Sometimes, it can get a little, or a lot discouraging, in this job, when you cannot see the big picture and the loooonnnnggggg term results that it produces. Like the depression prone Elijah, we think we are the only one left. God wakes us from our escape sleep, feeds us and directs us to action...sometimes a couple of times, and reminds us that we are not alone. Our Professional Development Day did just that...woke us, fed us and moved us forward. I pray that the organizers and those who made great effort to attend know how redeeming and fruitful their efforts have been already. 

I've been craving and satisfied with nourishing food...mind, body and soul. 
It won't last forever, but God sustains and provides for the future. 
Grateful.

...and hoping my reputation was not severely tarnished by my "Full House", public confession ;)



Comments