Embrace the Short People


I have to confess something. I must confess that I had an absolutely amazing time last night doing childrens' ministry. Spending a Friday night, after a long work week, with 40 some, hyper little ragamuffins might not sound thrilling...but it often is. I am a red shirted AWANA Sparky leader...and happy to be. Although the mind leans toward a hot cup of peppermint tea and a movie, my body moves into that little church classroom with several red vested 6 year olds bursting with stories of their eventful week.

On the verge of a headache and possibly chills, I just let myself relax on the book work for a moment and fell into these little tales of mischief and adventure. I have never laughed so much at AWANA as I did last night. I was bursting with endearment and refrained from cheek pinching for 30 minutes straight. I had 3 sources of cuteness to behold in my little group. One wild and crazy boy with a huge vocabulary and a heart of gold, was in the mood for confession...he held a sobering face as he dictated to me some imaginative situations that he felt needed forgiveness. Trying not to laugh, I assured him that God forgives anything, even if it involves slaying someone's dragon with a sharp knife.

Another boy used the word "fiend" continually until I took the time to ask him what it meant. After proudly explaining it to me, I carried the game on using the descriptive noun as often as I could...in or out of context...just to make sure he was still with me. His face glowed every time I did. The sole little girl in my group must have been paying close attention to my lesson. I taught about Paul writing a letter to the Philippians while he was suffering in jail. He told them to rejoice always, be gentle to others and not to worry. Well, she grabbed hold of the gentleness thing and ran with it. Every time she used her little whiny voice to target one of those annoying boys, she quickly changed her tone to one more like Mother Theresa, while looking straight at me for approval. My head pats and smiles sent her through the roof. We are friends for life...that's FRIENDS not FIENDS...it's kind of stuck in my mind right now.

It was a wonderful, relaxing and soulful two hours. Spend some time looking deep into the life filled, bright eyes of a young child and listen carefully to their stories...it might just surprise you how fun they are. Get involved in their games and join in their laughter. Appreciate their hugs and respect their God given personality. Get short for awhile, even if it hurts your knees. Let go of big people ideas and accept their eager invitation to be carefree and imaginative. It's their gift to us and I am grateful for having it every Friday night.

After the evening's activities come to an abrupt close, all of the colorful leader shirts appear with bags, books and jackets hanging from every limb. We plop onto the back pews for a little regrouping, then I head home for that peppermint tea, movie and cuddles with my very own special little ragamuffins. Sometimes...often...I wish that they would never grow up. I love that innocent and forgiving age. Often disregarded...often ignored because of the bustle of life...but never for long. Thankfully, I am reminded of the blessing they bring and get short...to look at life on their level and enjoy the view from there. Dragons, princesses, sparkly hair bands and baby teeth smiles are all around. A nice change form laundry, dishes, schedules and big people problems.

No wonder kids keep you young, if you look past the work and into their ever loving hearts.

Comments