I'm trying VERY hard to keep this schooling boat afloat. Teaching 4 kids, at different age levels, approximately 10 subjects of various depth, housework, healthy cooking, ministries, exercise and hobbies...well let's just say, I sometimes forget to do some of those things. I'm focusing my attention on the priorities, and doing those FIRST in the daily schedule. The hobbies come at the end of the day, while Bible, reading, math and writing get first pickings in the morning. By the afternoon, I'm sometimes too brain dead to tackle the secondary subjects, like science and history. But I LOVE those two...more than teaching reading or math...so that motivates my tired soul to "get r' done". Today, I mustered up the gusto to do science with the younger kids.

Apologia science is excellent for Jr and High schoolers:


I have made more great changes in our routine and curriculum this year. The most important being the focus on improving the reading of my two youngest kids. I bought a great little book called "Reading Rescue 1-2-3" by Peggy M.Wilber. It has been a big help in accelerating the fluency and confidence of my struggling readers.


Another 2 in 1 find is Sandy Queen's "Pictures in Cursive", which combines handwriting practice with picture study...LOVE this:




I still feel VERY strongly that the geography game on Shepherd Software is the answer to all of life's questions. Well maybe not ALL, but certainly for those "Where in the world?" questions. I still play it, the kids still like it and it is SO essential in order to follow world news...if you care about that:

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm

Finding a way to add time to my day or to walk through it with a completely carefree and gentle spirit has not happened yet. I am still in pursuit of one or both of these dreams. In the meantime, I continue to reach forward with music in my ears, God's Word in my heart and a pretty things before my eyes. I AM that "mature student" in the Myers' Homeschool...always learning and loving it :)

Comments