Bonnets and Britches


Ok...this one will be two thoughts meshing together to find synchronisity (wow, big word for 9:30 pm).

I love "Little House on the Prairie", but I didn't start homeschooling to become Caroline Ingalls. She is cool, however, always smiling, ever gentle and quiet, married to that sweet Michael Landon and bakes a mean biscuit. It's not the silky bow in your hair that makes you beautiful, or how high your bread rises that makes you a good mom. Looking and acting like the Ingalls is just another image attempt...at the other end of the image teeter todder. Although I love self expression, I don't want to get caught up in how things look from the outside. I chose to homeschool because it was more efficient, I love learning, teaching and being with my kids...not to be the poster family for goat's milk...and we drink goat's milk :)

1 Samuel 16:7 "God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

It takes a lot of thinking and training to get past the appearance of people and to get the heart. We are so easily fooled sometimes...and often because we want to be. I need to be careful though, not to send the wrong message either. Like it or not, we do affect people with our lifestyle choices. No one is truly free to live and do as they please. "Just be yourself" and "Let it all hang out" are selfish statements, with little regard for how our actions might affect others. What was that Jesus said?

Philippians 2:4 "Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others."

Sure,we have chickens, but my kids skateboard and Guy wants a motorbike (again). Yes, I grind my own wheat, but I hide the grinder in the kitchen corner. No, I've never had a perm or a dye job, but I never wear my Crocs to town. I listen to both Kieth Green AND some Bon Jovi. I am a completely free woman...free to bring glory to God in everything I do, without feeling a slave to the things my humanity craves. One more verse...because Jesus said really cool things:

1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable."

We should think twice before jumping on the liberty bandwagon and not spend too much time tweaking our CD cover.

Comments