Walking the Aisle



Back in the day, we had no Google to check out movie reviews and trailers. You went to the show, paid your money and hoped for the best. One time, when I was little, my family headed into town to watch what looked like a good family movie about hunting...one of my dad's passions at the time. I don't  remember much about the actual movie, because we didn't stay long enough.  I do remember, with vivid awe, my dad, standing in the middle of the theater and marching his young family down the aisle and out the door. He didn't make a fuss, start preaching to the crowd nor make a complaint to the owner nor demand his money back. He simply, peacefully and confidently (or so it appeared to me) recognized something that was harmful and inappropriate for his family and dishonoring to God, and guided us out.

We've not been instructed to judge the world...God clearly states that that is His job (1 Cor 5:13) However, we are held responsible to make judgements among those inside our our family...physical and spiritual (1 Cor 5:12). "As, for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15. Family leaders are supposed to make decisions, correct and instruct for the safety and health of their particular flock. Others might have seen Dad's action as proud, divisive or intolerant, but this little girl saw strength and integrity. I saw a man stand for what he believed, in public, unashamed and sure. His action backed up what I had heard him say, so many times. The one action meant more than the sea of words. I will never forget that moment. I believe it molded me. One of my proudest moments.

Walking that theatre aisle was a commitment to truth and shattered hypocrisy.  That makes beliefs believable.

I still have no idea what "The Deer Hunter " is about, but DeNiro doesn't hold a candle to the man my dad is. It's good to lead a quiet life and quietly pray against evil, but sometimes we get caught in a situation where we have to stand...publicly, obviously and sometimes dangerously. May our dads teach their children to do that. Walk the aisle among the crowd. Someone might catch a glimpse of your fortitude and be changed forever. And more than that, your Father above sees. His mighty right hand strongly supports those whose hearts are completely His.

"When you've done all you can do to stand...just stand."
Ephesians 6:13-14


Comments

Shannon said…
This is 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻